Monday, November 3, 2008

October recap!

I have been meaning to blog for too long, so here is a recap of October:

Getting out the Halloween decorations made the boys a little anxious, so we made a Halloween count-down chain out of orange and black construction paper. On each chain we put a silly Halloween joke and then read one each night at dinner. I think it helped the boys (especially Lil' T) be able to see how many days we had to go before the big night.

We love Halloween treats, so every week for FHE we made a different one. The first week we made Ghost Pops. They were pretty yummy! You can't go wrong with marshmallows dipped in chocolate!












The second week we made spider cupcakes! Ooh, spooky!




The third week, we brought back a past favorite: Mousse-Filled Witches' Hats. I had trouble finding chocolate sugar cones, so we dipped our regular sugar cones in chocolate. I couldn't find chocolate wafers either, so I think next year we'll use homemade Devil's Food Cake Cookies!
But the real treat is the mousse! I made extra this time so we could just eat it straight!


Ok, final week! We made mummies out of Twinkies. You take a Twinkie and frost it with white frosting. Then you take a flat decorating tip and make "bandages" on the Twinkie. Finally you add some candies for eyes. The verdict? Too much sugar!!! I don't think I'll try these again. They're pretty cute, but just way too sweet!

Stay tuned for next month's theme: everything pumpkin!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

It looks like you all had a fun month of Halloween treats. What fun ideas.

Sarah and Adam said...

mel, that looks like so much fun! you are so creative i hope i think of that kind of stuff when my kids are older. it was so nice to see you at the hospital- i'm so glad you made the stop! bella is so sweet it was good to finally meet her! hopefully it won't be 9 month before i see you again!

dlkenney said...

very fun treats...I will have to remember these for next year.

Larkin said...

The spiders and mummies are awesome. VERY VERY creative. I have to show Allyson this stuff.

Jewel-e said...

I love that you are so creative! I am stealing your ideas for next year :)I am especially excited for the chocolate mousse!